Sunday 15 November 2020

I Spy an iFi - Getting Zen with ZEN Phono

 









In the recent months, I have seen posting after posting of iFi products through my Facebook feed. Its true they say, if you keep seeing it, it will come 😁😁😁. Thank you E1 for loaning me a sample unit of the iFi ZEN Phono unit. Been using it for over a month now and it does help to listen to something new during this CMCO. This unit brought back fond memories when I restarted my vinyl journey back in in 2011. After about 11 years of leaving the vinyl cult, I restarted the passion with the purchase of  a Clearaudio Concept TT and an NAD PP3 Phono stage. Not sure of how vinyl market revival would be, I did not want to spend much on a phono stage. Hence, opted for this NAD phono stage which was about RM450. I then tried Musical Fidelity V Series phono stage. All of these were sub RM1000 phono stages. All of these phono stages did not give me a high level of satisfaction, hence had to go a bit mid range. 

This ZEN Phono (also sub RM1000) is a totally different story. Hooking it up to my Lenco L78 put a smile on my face. I also hook it up to a higher grade Clearaudio Solution AMG Wood TT and it gave me an experience like it was connected to a much more expensive phono stage. So, read on folks.

THE BUILD AND SPECS

It fits in my palm. It measures at only 158 x 117 x 35 mm and weighs about 500 grams. But don't be fooled with its size. It is sturdily built with nice finishing chassis and front face. The power and subsonic button feels solid when pressed. 

The front face looks subtle and uses light blue LED for indicators for the power, subsonic filter and the input selector MM, MC- Very Low, Low and High. The stencil used to label these functions however a but to light and cannot be read from far.

The unit can only accept 1 RCA input and 2 Outputs (1 RCA and 1 4.4. mm balanced). It also comes with a grounding terminal. The input selector uses a small switch to select between the MM and MC options based on the cart you use. Power supply is of the expected 5V plug.

One plus point of this unit. Small it may be but when you hook up your interconnects, it does not tilt upwards due to the weight of the interconnects. I remember my NAD. Once I have hooked up the interconnects, the unit will be tilted up due to the weight of the RCA.

All and all, the unit is beautifully finished.

The specifications is as follow as per iFi's website.



THE EQUIPMENT

  • Lenco L78 TT with Shure M44-7 cart (MM)
  • Clearaudio Solutions AMG Wood with Hana SL cart (MC)
  • SPL Audio Director Mk2 pre amp
  • SPL Audio Performance power amp
  • PMC Twenty5 24 speakers
  • Cabling and RCA - Siltech
  • Sony PCM D100 Hi Res recorder
THE TRACKS

I stick to 3 tracks for both set up of MM and MC to compare the performance.
  • Take Five by Dave Brubeck on 45 RPM
  • My Hero by Foo Fighters  on 33 RPM
  • Get Lucky by Daft Punk on 33 RPM

THE SESSION

WITH LENCO L78


Take Five

The very first thing I notice was how huge the sound of the sax especially in between 130 to 145 minute. When it hit the higher notes, it sounded extended without any hint of ear pinching sound. Very nicely done. On the percussion, it gave the PMC speakers quite a work out to really deliver that hard hitting sound but still maintaining the characteristics of the hollow drum sound. The snare also sounded well dispersed across the listening area. 


Get Lucky

On this track, the vocal came out to have high clarity to it but leaning more towards a flat presentation. The bass coming from the bass guitar sounded soulful and I could hear note by note. The bass drum however sounded a bit flat as I prefer a more rounded and bigger bass sound. Still managed to get me tapping my feet and move my body to the groove of this track but I could do with a little bit more bass on this one. The hi hat play however was excellent sound. Sharp and precise. The guitar although sounded a bit faint as a background instrument, it still sounded melodic. 

P/S: Please excuse the background sound of the pianica playing Harry Potter score.


My Hero

Yeah! Love the overall raw sound on this track. In this 'loud' drum filled song, it is very critical that the system can extract and reproduced the drum as accurate as possible. While there are parts that the iFi Phono really shine presenting the intensity of the drum works, the sound of the hi hat however was a little but dry and rough. It was also drowned at the mark of 248 minute. For vocal, again the iFi have no problem presenting a high clarity of vocal from Grohl. At this point, it seems to be one of the consistent character of the iFi. On the shredding guitar works, also it sounded really energised and really ferocious. 

WITH CLEARAUDIO SOLUTION AMG WOOD AND HANA SL

Take Five

While through the MM section, this track sounded big, it did not have that musicality subtlety like being played through the MC section of iFi. Listening through the same section of the song, the high notes here sounded more musical rather than just louder or bigger. The snare sounded even more well dispersed but at the same time, that hard hitting contact between the the stick and the snare can be experienced at a different level here. The toms also sounded punchier through the MC section. Even the tingling sound of the ride playing sounded very musical.

Get Lucky

I experience the same listening session through the MC section of the iFi ZEN Phono. More musical albeit the smaller overall soundstage. The clarity of the vocal remains but with more energy and emotion to it. The bass line also sounded livelier and I can relate to the groove of the music in a more intense level. More engaging all round. It really got my body moving to this track. The hi hat play also sounded even cleaner and crisp. The bass sounded fuller and extensive, the way I like it. 

My Hero

When I thought the MM section have already delivered a lot, this listening session though the MC section sounded even more engaging. Gone was the dry hi hat and came in the crisp sound I like. The overall song sounded livelier while still maintaining that rawness that I like. At the same mark of 248 minute, although still sounded a bit drowned, the drums actually sounded more audible note by note. There was something about the guitar works as well as they sounded heavier and more engaging,

THE CONCLUSION

Bringing up the vocal and present it with enough emotion seems to be a consistent characteristics of this iFi ZEN phono regardless on MM or MC task. Quite remarkable sound coming out from this small unit. For bass, I find that the MC section does a better job in presenting a deeper dig and more extensive bass experience. The MM however sounded more hard hitting. It depends a lot too on your choice of cartridge for your TT. On the highs, the MC delivers a more crisp and sweet sound compared to MM. Regardless for vocal or instrument, I do not have to worry of ear pinching high note experience as the ZEN Phono delivers a clean sound. Overall, this is a very 'quiet' phono stage which allows more music to come out from your vinyl collection. Quite remarkable for a sub RM1K phono stage. For musicality however, I would stick to using the MC section of this phono stage.

Who is this phono stage suitable for? Firstly, if the budget allows, it could be for those who just about to start the vinyl journey. Secondly, for those with RM200 to RM500 phono stage, you might want to give this a try as well. I am confident that you will experience a big jump in sound quality. Thirdly, for those who want a simple, no nonsense and straight forward phono. Last but not least, if your collection of vinyl is mainly rock and vocal works, give this is a demo as well. 

For further enquiry or demo, please contact E1 Personal Audio or Asia Sound on 0321102328 or 012 5122089. The unit can be purchased at RM729.

No comments: