Saturday 13 June 2020

Sepang Audio Den Revamped - Zu Audio, Accuphase, Denon and Bladelius








It has been 6 years since my last visit and first experience with Zu Audio speakers and Leben amp. To listen to this pairing or even to one of the product here in Malaysia, one have to know who owns one and request to be invited to have a listen. There was a distributor of Zu Audio here but not Leben if I am not mistaken. At this time, it was a pair of Zu Audio Druids.

Over this 6 years, the owner fondly know as Sting (yes, not the singer 😬) have gone through quite a revamp of his system but I have not had the chance to audition the synergy of this new set up.
  • Zu Audio Soul Supreme
  • Accuphase E600 Class A integrated amp
  • Bladelius Embla media player
  • Denon DN950FA CD player
  • A pair of Goldenear ForceField 10" subwoofers (yes 2.2  set up)
The only remaining from the previous setup was Frank Power Bank and PTP TT.

Believe it or not, this must be the longest digital session I have been in for quite some time. 3 hours solid, from track to track of various genres were played alternately between Bladelius and Denon.

Sting has always been very particular of component matching and proper set up of the listening area. 6 years ago I experienced a fluid presentation between Zu Audio Druids and Leben with Triode CDP and PTP TT. He has now outdone his previous set up with this current one.

Why?

  1. The vocal was dead centre between the speakers.
  2. When played a full spectrum tracks like Dire Straits, I could feel the energy transmitted in the song.  The highs and lows were very controlled. A very tight and impactful presentation.
  3. It delivers a very musical and enveloping ambience that wraps your body all around. Literally I had to look behind me on what he has done with room acoustic.
  4. Emotion ran high throughout the 3 hour session. When I listen to a set up, 2 things can happen. Either I just sit still leaning against the sofa or I will start leaning forward and sing along or drum along. Listen to the video and you can hear me singing along.
  5. I came home and start looking for my CDs of the tracks that were demoed this morning particularly Ella USA.
  6. All the experience were coming from digital source that most would say, only analogue source can deliver such presentation.


This is not a review article but sharing of a listening experience. I find that this set up have stepped up 2 notches from 6 years ago which evolved around mostly analogue. 

The addition of the 2 subwoofers have injected life into the musical gaps if any. Positioning of the subs have been moved from beside the sofa to the front. According to Sting, he is still experimenting on the sub position.

Control, refined and huge sound extension are the 3 top characters I can say about this set up. The vocal throw, although having the speakers line as the main stage, I could feel the vocal reaches to my listening point.

It shines fully with full spectrum music a.k.a bass, electric guitars, drums, vocal, keyboard maybe. On  live, acoustic or unplugged tracks, although detail and emotions delivery are good, the highs can be a bit sharp to my ears. Prefer to play typical full spectrum songs.

But nothings beats his Mrs Mee Bandung and cheesecake that was served for lunch. 




Thank you Sting for the Hari Raya listening session.





No comments: