Friday 3 July 2020

Technical Audio Devices (TAD) - A Full Set Up Private Experience at AV Designs


The MCO made me realised how much I miss visiting HiFi shops. So as soon as I received a message from AV Designs, I arranged for a visit on 3rd July. This was mainly just to meet up and hear some updates on their future plan with the incoming products from Revel, Lexicon, JBL and Mark Levinson.

But first, I was in for a treat as this was quite a private session to sit down and listen to a full Technical Audio Devices (TAD) set up. The last time I heard them was many years ago in Rohas Perkasa. Surreal experience from this set up. It has somehow being shadowed by other makes of hifi in this showroom in the past few years. Glad I had time to listen to them.
The set up consists of:
1. D600 CD/SACD player (and we also used the Bryston BDP2 and feed it into the DAC section)
2. C2000 preamp
3. M2500 power amp
4. CR1 Mk2 speakers
5. Cables by WyWire










 




THE LISTENING SESSION

This is not so much of a review but I must say that I am pretty amazed with this set up. Not sure whether I should call the CR1 Mk2 as bookshelf as the sound coming out from these pair can be mistook coming from huge floorstanders.  It is no way a bass shy speakers and the high level of clarity is one of the highlights. The whole set up has such a low background noise even at low volume you can actually enjoy a sweet musical presentation.

AV Designs played it loud. I mean really loud. Level that my Audiologist wife will not approve of :). But I didn't feel any listening fatigue for that 2.5 hours session. The highs.... instead of sharp, it was actually very sweet and tender to the ears. The bass was extensive but not punchy. The attack is there but its not hard hitting.

The overall set up is indeed a well matched and engineered set up. From source to speakers, TAD have fully thought through the musical chain. Granted, it is not a cheap set up to own (speakers is in excess of RM200K, CD player in excess of RM100K retail price) but one who has the dough should not miss the chance to listen to this set up before more new stuff comes in. Who knows, AV Designs may be able to come up with a suitable price for you. Hint2!

Give them a shout should you feel like experiencing a full TAD system. 

Highlights info row image
H-2-6, Block H, Boulevard Business Park, No. 115, Jalan Kepayang
51200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Highlights info row image
03-6241 1237
















No comments: