Sunday 19 September 2021

AA Music Streamer - A for Sound, A for Flexibility

 

I have not reviewed a local brew for sometime now. Heck, I have slowed down as a whole when it comes to reviews mainly due to the change in my main job. Nevertheless, when I was introduced to Dr. Anwar Ali by Kamali and was requested to review and provide feedback to an AA Music Streamer prototype, I accepted it, The early chit chat with this designer brought back memories of my early years in CAS way back in early year of 2000/2001. I have gone through (or more like killed) 3 Windows laptops and 1 Mac trying to get the best SQ (and cheap) from CAS over the course of 12 to 13 years playing CAS. Once a dedicated hifi streamer came about at a more affordable price, I stopped using laptops and PC as an audio source. I believe my first dedicated streamer was Musical Fidelity M1 CLiC back in 2013 or so.

Anyway, getting back to this unit, the good Dr. Anwar arranged for a unit to be sent to my place. Given the MCO at that time, it took a few days to arrive from northern Malaysia. Properly packed and just like receiving a new PC. It is quite heavy and the chassis deserves 10/10 marks for sturdiness, simplicity and sleekness with just a power button and CD slot in mechanism. The main power switch is located at the rear and my, my, my.... just look at the rear panel will definitely remind you of your home PC. With various USB ports and optical port, potential user will be spoilt with multiple HDD access. The single USB port nearer to the power switch is for user to connect with your own preferred DAC.

For this unit, Dr. Anwar have also installed 2 x 1 TB SSD, complete with a few reference hi res files. Why 2 SSD? This is the beauty of flexibility I mentioned above. One SSD is running on Linux with Euphony as the playback software and Windows 10 with JPLAY FEMTO as the playback software. Potential user can discuss with the great doctor on which route to go for. For me, for a straight plug and play, stick to Euphony as it allows a headless operation of the unit. Opting for JPLAY FEMTO on Windows 10 will give you a better SQ but you need some basic computer literacy to maintain the system.

The unit also comes with a CD ripper function but only when used in Euphony version.

For this review, I am focusing on 2 main elements Euphony and JPLAY FEMTO:

1. Sound quality

2. User Interface (UI)

THE SPECS

  • Streacom FC10 Alpha fanless computer case
  • ASRock J5040-ITX Pentium Silver SoC 2.0GHz motherboard, 10W TDP
  • Custom 230VA low-noise audio-grade toroidal transformer from Europe, center potted, with outside magnetic screen and primary/secondary static screen

  • The final product ATX LPSU (dual LM108x series)

o 3A 5V standby

o 3A 12V and 5A 12V (either for ATX, CPU, or both)

o 5A 5V ATX

o 5A 3.3V ATX

o 1.5A 5V for USB Audio 

o Pre-regulation for SSD daughter card

o 3 x 1.5A 5V voltage regulator daughter card for SSD & optical slim drive

Total three SATA devices can be powered, maximum 1.5A per device

  • All linear voltage regulators attached to the sides of FC10 case for best thermal management

Configuration Options

  • Silver or black Streacom FC10 Alpha computer case color
  • 16GB or 32GB SODIMM RAM
    • 32GB RAM recommended if playing albums in DSD 4x and highest PCM rate
  • Optional slim optical drive (for ripping CD)
  • Additional SSD drives for increased music files storage capacity
    • Maximum up to 4 SSD drives without optical drive
    • Maximum up to 3 SSD drives with optical drive
    • Default configuration is a single 1 TB SSD
  • Optional USB filter to improve USB Audio 5V power supply quality

Playback Software
·        Euphony, USD299 or 249 Euro
o   ArchLinux-based headless system, no screen, keyboard and mouse required
o   For playback control, smartphone or tablet is required (install Euphony app)
o   Supports Qobux, TIDAL, Roon integration
o   For best sound quality, playback from internal SSD storage is recommended using Euphony Stylus
·        Windows 10 + JPLAY FEMTO
o   Installation requires screen, keyboard and mouse.  Once drivers installed and setups tweaked, can run headless
o   For playback control, smartphone or tablet is required using Android app BubbleUPnP.  May need RM15 optional purchase for full features without adverts
o   Can do streaming
o   For best sound quality, playback from internal SSD storage is recommended using and JPLAY FEMTO Server and JPLAY FEMTO UPnP Renderer

USER INTERFACE (IU)

     

Euphony UI on Android is easy to maneuver between various sources. It took me about 10 mins to set up the Euphony and be connected to the AA Streamer. Access to the internal SSD was immediate while it took another 10 minutes for me to set up the other over the network sources (NAS, HiFiROSE, SONY HAP Z1 ES and TIDAL). The response time between choosing a song and the playback is just about 3 seconds. Similar to most streamers, you have to add your songs to the playback list.




JPLAY FEMTO UI (via BubbleUPnP app free version) is more basic and involves switching between Library (local, NAS, Cloud, TIDAL etc) and renderers. IT gives various option to play from one source to various streamers as well. The TIDAL interface does not give full details of the track like Euphony and on the free version, it is limited to only 16 tracks at a time in the playlist. 


 


THE TRACKS

  1. Japanese Roots by Takadake (PCM)
  2. Time To Say Goodbey by Andrea Bocelli (PCM)
  3. Come Away With Me by Norah Jones (DSD)
  4. Take Five by Dave Brubeck (DSD)

THE SESSION (EUPHONY)


Japanese Roots

On this track, I was expecting the Euphony to playback with great punch and huge soundstage. While the punch was there but overall soundstage sounded a bit small to my liking. The wind instrument sounded a bit flat as I am used to listening to this track with such high energy sweeping through my listening area. Not the usual excitement I get from listening to this track.


Time to Say Goodbye

Another favourite track of mine for vocal differences. Sarah Brightman's vocal started off nicely with a hint of energy, lifting up the song with a lively atmosphere. Andrea's vocal also sounded wholesome and reproduced to showcase his great voice. It did drown a bit to the background music once more instruments came into the picture and come to a stage where the duet was simultaneous, Andrea's vocal started to dominate the track and Sarah's vocal just drowned behind it. Could not enjoy this track as per my usual experience with my own streamer either the SONY HAP Z1 ES or HiFi ROSE RS150. 


Come Away With Me

This track brought joy to me as the Euphony managed to surface the emotion behind this song. Her vocal was surfaced up with high clarity but at times, it sounded a bit too laid back. The piano works was a little laid back too, overpowered by the vocal. The soundstage was sufficient but I needed more from this great track especially during the solo guitar. If there was more energy in the guitar sound, it would have made the playback more emotionally connected to me.


Take Five

The toughest track to me for any streamer to playback decently on my system. The Euphony, while it reproduced the song quite melodious, it lacked the punch that this track needs from the percussion and double bass. It excelled in delivering the airy sax works but I am used to a much more punchier low frequency. The percussion needed to sound spot on and accurate to its classic drum set up. 

THE SESSION (JPLAY FEMTO)


Japanese Roots

On this track, the most obvious change I noticed is in the wind instrument in which a livelier and spacious sound can be heard. The low end frequency also is more extensive and more to my liking with respect to my speakers. The overall ambient of the playback via FEMTO seems to provide a more enveloping experience with more energy sweeping through my listening area. The percussion sounded hard hitting with sufficient punch for my speakers.


Time To Say Goodbye

Now, I gave a mixed feeling with this track. At times, I feel that playback through the FEMTO was more on the sharp side especially with Sarah Brightman's vocal. Andrea Bocelli's vocal did not come out as good as I am used to. The energy was still there but somehow sounded a little bit too thin compare to playback on my own streamer. The overall track however was reproduced in such a lively manner that I feel that it was a live concert. Brough me back to the time where I brought my wife to watch his concert in Bukit Jalil several years ago. 


Come Away With Me

Somehow, with her recent few albums, I lost interest in Norah Jones. The AA Streamer on FEMTO however reminded me of how much used to love her songs. Her voice juts came out top notch on this playback, elevated in a way that brought up the emotion through. Even the piano works sounded very lively even for a slow number such as this. The solo guitar also was very melodious with no hint of shrilling highs. Again, the soundstage and ambient was huge, filling up my hall with great music. I do not have to even sit directly in front of my set up in the king's throne but still felt that the music was everywhere. 


Take Five

This is the hardest track for the AA Streamer to impress me. I felt that with Euphony, there was insufficient energy to really playback this track through my system. It was the opposite for FEMTO. A very pleasant presentation with the bass digs really deep and the snare drum fills sounded well spread out to give me that extensive impact. The toms on the percussion sounded deep but did not loose that hollow sound of a classic drum set. The piano sounded melodious and energised too. The tingling sound of the ride cymbal was sharp, crisp and accurate to each note. Finally, the sax works was the killer where it sounded really huge and spacious, creating that huge soundstage feeling for my set up. 

THE CONCLUSION

A tough to be honest to decide which one to go for as a whole streamer package. No doubt, sound wise I prefer the JPLAY FEMTO on Windows 10 despite my previous experience to get a good SQ with Windows PC. It was actually a clear cut between JPLAY and Euphony. However, as oppose to CAS, UI is of an extreme importance when it comes to a dedicated streamer. For this, the Euphony is a much more flexible and easier to use compare to FEMTO. It may sound odd but in my book, a streamer needs to have an exceptional UI. Truth be told, based on various streamers I owned and reviewed (MF, Bryston, ARCAM, Sony, ROSE, CaryAudio, Melco etc), Sony HAP Z1 ES is still the most intuitive and accurate UI.

For me, if anyone is looking into getting a real piece of serious hardware for music playback for CAS, it is worthwhile to have a chit chat with Dr. Anwar about this unit. It is also recommended to identify what DAC you will be using the streamer with as Dr. Anwar may need to pre load the driver for your DAC.

Overall, I feel that this AA Music Streamer excels in reproducing the music in a huge soundstage and create that enveloping listening experience. The low frequency was delivered in great punch and extensive enough to push the ATL on my PMC Twenty5 26i. The highs are sweet and melodious especially on JPLAY FEMTO.

Good to see a really solidly built and good topology by a local hifi designer especially on the low powered motherboard. Dr. Anwar paid extra attention on this as part as his design philosophy. 


THE EQUIPMENT

For this review, the AA Music Streamer was connected to my SPL Director Mk2 pre amp built in DAC.
The following equipment was used:
  • SPL Audio Director Mk2 pre amp
  • SPL Audio S800 Performance power amp
  • PMC Twenty5 26i speakers

No comments: