Friday 24 December 2021

ARCAM, JBL, ASCENDO Galore in AV Designs

It has been more than 1 years since my last visit to AV Designs. So, when I had the day off on Xmas eve, I did not miss the chance to visit and get updated with their latest set up and offerings. In the past 1 year, AV Designs have brought in a number of new names under their belt - ARCAM, Lexicon, JBL, ASCENDO etc.






SET UP 1

In the smaller HT room, AV Designs have set up a 5.5.2 speaker configurations using JBL HDI-3800 fronts, HDI-4500 centre speakers, ASCENDO CCM5-P surround and ATMOS speakers and SV12 subs. All driven by ARCAM FMJ AVR.

I was entertained by 5.5.2 and 5.3.2 settings and I prefer the latter as it provided a more relaxing but still punchy experience.  The ported ASCENDO SV12 subs provides a more extensive low frequency but hard hitting bass is not its forte. This is actually my preference as I get uncomfortable if the bass is a really hard hitting physically.

My main amazement came from the fronts HDI 3800 fronts. Looking at the top horns on them, I was worried that it would be too sharp on my ears especially during blasting of movie tracks. However, to my surprise, the speakers did not sound 'horny' at all. Very musical in fact when playing concert movies.

The second part is the ASCENDO surround speakers. The unique design disperse the effects in all direction, providing a more realistic surround ambient as oppose to a unidirectional sound form the unit itself.

All of these were driven by an ARCAM FMJ AVR (no longer in production but wait for my review of the AVR20).

SET UP 2

In the main room, a 7.7.4 set up was the main highlight of my visit there. With PMC remains as the LCR speakers, the subs were 4 units ASCENDO SMS G18, 1 unit of SMSG24 and 2 units of SMSG15 and the surround and ATMOS speakers are ASCENDO CCRM6P. All were driven by the JBL Synthesis SDP55 processor and PMC Active amps (LCR) and Bryston power amps.

I have seen the evolution of this room ever since AV Designs was in Rohas Perkasa. Many different speakers and AVR were installed previously but I must say, this is the best set up I have experience in this particular room thus far. With the calibration done properly, the ambient of any movies played through this set up is so natural that I felt like there live sounds around me and not coming from any speakers. (Refer to El Hefe HiFi Review Facebook for video samples)








SET UP 3

The open area hosts a number of new speakers and hifi equipment. I was particularly attracted to the newly opened, Limited Edition for Malaysia and Singapore only,  Falcon Acoustics Maida Vale speakers. Only 10 units in the shop now with total 50 units only to be produced. 

There was also the huge JBL Model 4349 Studio Monitor on static display and also ARCAM ST60 streamer being played through PMC Cor amp and PMC Fact 12. Of course, I cant resist but to take home the streamer for a review.






Why not start 2022 with something special for your hifi set up? Head down to AV Designs and request a demo for any of these items you fancy.


Highlights info row image
H-2-6, Block H, Boulevard Business Park, No. 115, Jalan Kepayang
51200 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Highlights info row image
03-6241 1237




No comments: