Saturday 21 March 2020

Oopiib Sings Impression 2 - Live Recording in Bangkok










When Auu of Impression Sound Studio posted on FB that this album will be on sale, I immediately pre ordered one. As Kusuma and her were heading this way, I managed to get a hold of this CD sometime in February.

Based on my previous experience buying LPs or CDs from Aau during KLIAV, the sound quality of the recordings is something that you look forward too. I dont speak Thai apart from Khub khun karb but listening to ISS production is a must. 

There are 10 tracks on this album and all of them were recorded live in Studio 28, Bangkok.  I have been listening to CD for over a month now and I must say, it does not matter that I dont understand Thai. What matters is that I felt really engaged and entertained. My favourite track on this album is track 7. You might want to guess why? I particularly like the sound of the percussion on this track. The snare, brush stick, toms sounded full eventhough it was played at a lower volume. Besides the drum, the piano also sounded really melodic . Oopiib vocal really mesmerizing. The recording really focused on ensuring her vocal comes out clearly but at the same time full of energy to deliver  that emotion across. 

String instrument is a bit on a mellow side but wind instrument makes up for it. It really sounded huge and airy but at the same time it is mesmerizing. Never once Oopibb vocal fail to surface despite of the multiple musical instrument used for this recording.

On the highs, her vocal can sound pinchy at times but still sweet enough to forget about that. With the multiple layers of instrument properly staged during my session, even at low volume, the presentation from this album was still lively. The energy dispersion just envelopes me. It is so engaging that I didnt even realise  that its already on the 10th track.


Listening to this CD made me realised that there are a lot to learn to properly record a live session. But doing it right will give listener a full satisfaction. I wonder how it will sound if this was recorded in a high resolution format or LP.

I would like to say thank you to Auu and Kusuma for bringing the CD to KL. Now I await for an LP version of this live recording.

No comments: